Thursday, April 25, 2013

Welcome to Crisis Management!


Self Delusion (Noun):  the act or state of deceiving oneself

Welcome to my blog.  I'm 52 years old, which means that, unless I live to be 104, I'm actually north of midlife but let's refer to the previously cited definition on that issue.  I live near Boston, Massachusetts with my wife and teenage son.  Sounds pretty ordinary, right?  Exactly.  I work as a self-employed consultant helping companies protect their employees from workplace injuries.  A noble pursuit to be sure, but rarely exciting.  I've never heard champagne corks pop when I helped a company reduce its compound annual growth rate on workers' comp costs (I hear the corks in my head of course -- see previously cited definition).

Recently, after consuming several pints of Guinness and sipping on a second (or perhaps third) glass of Irish whiskey at our neighborhood bar I reflected on the various ailments and even the passing of friends close to my age.  How much time do I have left to accomplish all those epic things I vowed to do 25 years ago?   This is human nature, of course.  Rage against the ticking clock.  Will I ever trade guitar solos with Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall?  Will I ever forget to thank my wife while accepting an Oscar?  Will I ever go on that safari?  Climb the worlds’ highest mountains?  Of course not, these are foolish goals made by the young and stupid, at least in my case (I’m still holding out hope for the Clapton thing but I'm beginning to think it might not happen).  So I decided to start doing some new and different things just for fun to satisfy those nagging voices in my head. 

With all this in mind I decided to launch Crisis Management.  Over some period of time in the not too distant future I'll be trying some new and interesting things in an attempt to slow the clock.  I know it won't work but it will be fun anyway.  (See the definition above)

No comments:

Post a Comment